英语单项知识的讲解与练习(90)

英语单项知识的讲解与练习(90)

446. breakthrough的用法

breakthrough突破

例句:

①It is a major technological breakthrough.这是一次重要的技术突破。 ②He finally has a breakthrough in his creation.他终于在创作上有突破。 ③The scientists strive for a breakthrough in cancer research.科学家们力争在癌症研究方面有个突破。

④The medical breakthrough proves that guzzling ale is not the only reason why men develop saggy stomachs.医学上这一突破表明,男人们的啤酒肚并不完全是因为狂饮啤酒而造成的。

短语:make a breakthrough at some single point突破一点;a breakthrough point突破点;breakthroughs in medical science医学上的惊人进步;breakthrough in 在…方面的进展;achieve a breakthrough 取得进展;medical breakthrough 医学发现;

练习:

①To our joy, there are so many ___ in science and technology all over the world in recent years.

A. discovery B. breakthroughs C. findings D. invention②The old scientist has made ___ growing and researching rice.

A. a breakthrough at B. breakthrough about

C. a breakthrough forD. breakthrough at

③Scientists have made a great ___ in the treatment of cancer.

A. principle B. breakthrough C. conclusion D. introduction ④The doctors in that hospital made lots of ___ in medical science.

A.breakthrough B.break through

C.breakthroughs D.break throughs

447. breath的用法

breath呼吸、气息。

例句:

①He caught his breath in surprise.他惊奇得屏住了呼吸。

②His chest heaves with every breath.他的胸部随着呼吸而起伏。 ③It took us a few minutes to get our breath back after the race.赛跑后我们用了好几分钟才恢复了正常呼吸。

④His breath smelt suspiciously of drink.他嘴里呼出的气息好像有酒味。

⑤The delicious breath of rain was in the air.空中弥漫着清新的雨的气息。

短语:catch one’s breath 喘息、屏息;in the same breath 同时;save/ waste one’s breath 沉默、白费口舌;give up one’s breath断气;hold one’s breath (由于激动、害怕等)不出气、屏住呼吸;out of breath 上气不接下气;take a deep breath 长吸一口气、深呼吸;take breath歇一歇、喘口气;above one's breath 高声地;after a breath 喘口气后;

in a breath 一口气,立刻,异口同声地;under one's breath 悄声地;speak under one's breath 低声细语;with one's last breath 临终时;

breathe呼吸:breathe in 吸入;breathe out 呼出;breathe one’s lost断气、死掉;

用法:①breath的基本意思是“气息; 呼吸”,表示呼出或吸入之空气、气息时是不可数名词,一般不加冠词。表示“一口气,一次呼吸,微风”时是可数名词,可加不定冠词,但复数形式一般很少用。用于比喻则可表示“生命”。

②breath还可作“(一丝)痕迹,迹象”解

练习:

①When the snake is slowly crawling toward his face, he ___ his breath.

A. drew B. held C. caught D. wasted

②He finally found his dog lying in the snow but it had stopped ___.

A. breath B. to breathe C. breathing D. breathe

③I like getting up very early in summer. The morning air is so good ___.

A. to be breathed B. to breathe C. breathing D. being breathed ④The 100-mile run left Bill ___.

A. under his breath B. out of breath

C. recover his breath D. hold his breath

448. bring的用法

bring带来。

例句:

①She brought her boyfriend to the party.她带着男朋友来参加聚会。 ②Rot it! I forgot to bring my book with me.糟了!忘记带书来了。 ③Floods brought destruction to the vally.洪水给山谷造了大灾害。 ④Smoke and flames brought the neighbors.浓烟和火焰引起了邻居们的注意

⑤Indigestion may bring about this disease.消化不良可能引起这种病。 短语:bring in 引来、引进(意近bring about)、吸收、收(庄稼)、增加(话题)、赚得(收入);bring about引起、导致;bring up抚养、养育、呕吐、提出(话题);bring down使降低、使倒下、击落;bring on促进、使产生、使成长(提高、进步);bring back拿回、带回、使记起、使回忆;bring down 降低、使倒下(fall down 自己倒下);bring down the house 获得全场的喝彩; bring out 出版、生产、提出、拿出、揭露、说明;bring up 教育、培养、提出、呕吐;bring somebody into touch with somebody 使某人与某人取得联系;bring something to somebody把某物带给某人;bring something with somebody 随身携带某物; bring oneself to do something做出(不该做或不好的事);

用法:①bring最基本的意思是“将人或物带至讲话人或听话人所在之处”,是及物动词,可接表示人、物或抽象事物的名词或代词作宾语,也可接双宾语,其间接宾语可以由介词to引出,但不能用for,用for时表示“为某人带来…”。

②bring可用作使役动词,表示“促使,说服”,常跟反身代词作宾语,也可跟形容词、以不定式复合结构或介词短语充当补足语的复合宾语。 ③bring作“引起”解时,可接以现在分词、过去分词充当补足语的复合宾语。

④在表示把某人或某物带到对话双方都将去的那个地方时用bring, 而不用take。

练习:

①How much has the company ___ this year?

A. brought in B. brought down C. come about D. made in ②I hear the price ___, but I doubt how long it will remain so.

A. are already gone down B. have been brought in

C. have brought downD. have been brought down

③Our school will ___ some new teachers next term as a result of increasing students.

A. bring in B. bring on C. bring into D. bring back ④His speech ___ some new points.

A. brought in B. gave in C. made in D. took in

⑤The film ___ the hours ___ to me when I was taken good care of in that far away village.

A. brought; out B. brought; away

C. drown; back D. brought; back

⑥___ your child when you come next time.

A. Bring B. Take C. Fetch D. Carry

⑦I know that gentlemen like you ___ only large notes.

A. bring B. take C. fetch D. carry

449. depressed 的用法

depressed adj.沮丧的, 降低的;

例句:

①The thought of having to take the exam again depressed me.想到还需重新考试,我就感到沮丧。

②She got depressed and began to let things slide.她情绪低落,一切都听之任之。

③He gets cheerful and depressed by turns.他的情绪高一阵低一阵。 ④Because of the depressed market, there is an overstocking of goods in the factory.由于市场不景气,工厂生产的货物占压了一仓库。 ⑤The market is rather depressed at the moment.目前市场相当萧条。 短语:depressed area贫困地区;depress使沮丧;depressed inflation压抑通货膨胀;depressed road下穿路;depressed fracture凹陷骨折;depressed key按钮,按键;depressed coast沉降海岸;depressed market市场萧条;depressed arch平卧拱,低圆拱;depressed sewer倒虹式下水道;depressed collector降压收集极; depressed block沉降地块; 用法:depressed常作表语,后接介词 by或 at,介词宾语指事或物。如: His mother was depressed by the sad news(意志消沉).

练习:

①We couldn’t see much because there was only a ____ light in the room.

A. delicate B. disguised C. depressed D. dim

②For years now, the people of that faraway country have been cruelly ______ by a dictator.

A. depressedB. immersedC. oppressedD. cursed

③Their claims to damages have not been convincingly ______.

A. refuted B. overwhelmed C. depressed D. intimidated ④She was depressed _____ of her illness.

A.to learning B.to learn C.learning D.to be learned

450. dismiss 的用法

dismiss (v)解散、解雇;

例句:

①If you are late again, you will be dismissed.如果你再迟到,你将被解雇。

②Let us dismiss and return in an hour.让我们先解散,一个钟头后再回来。

③We should dismiss all thought of revenge.我们应该屏除一切报复的念头。

④The justice dismissed his evidence out of hand.法官当即驳回了他的

证据。

短语:dismiss for 因…而解雇;dismiss sb for being late 因迟到而解雇某人;dismiss sb for neglect of sb's duty 因玩忽职守而免除某人的职务;dismiss...from 使从…离开,解雇,从…除去;dismiss sb from sb's job 免职;dismiss from one's mind 从思想上打消…;dismiss sb from sb's post 撤某人的职;dismiss sb from school 开除出校;dismiss sth with a shake of one's head 摇头表示否决;

用法:①dismiss的基本意思是“不再保有或同意离开”,指自动或被迫脱离所负的责任或所任的职务。引申可作“置之不理”“不加考虑”解。

②dismiss作“解雇”解时,并不追究事情的前因后果,故双方均可接受,语气较为平和。

③dismiss用作及物动词,可接名词或代词作宾语,宾语后接介词as,动词宾语和介词宾语都指事,表示“认为??而不加考虑”。如:The tourists dismissed the Irish weather as merely wet and cold. 宾语后接for,介词宾语指事,可是名词或动名词,表示解雇的理由。如:The servant was dismissed for being lazy and dishonest. 宾语后接from,介词宾语指地位和职务,表示“解雇、免职”;介词宾语指思想,表示“打消想法”。如:If you’re late again, you’ll be dismissed from your job./ The matter was so unimportant that she dismissed it from her thought.

练习:

①We _____ the cook because her cooking was so poor.

A. dismissed B. deserted C. resigned D. withdrew

②We must _____ these trash ideas.

A. discard B. dispose C. discharge D. dismiss

③When the bell rang, people walked out of their homes and ____ on the village square.

A. assembled B. dismissed C. dissolved D. disappeared ④The little girl was so frightened that she just wouldn't _____ her grip on my arm.

A. loosenB. removeC. relieveD. dismiss

⑤What he said in the meeting _______ everybody present.

A. disgusted B.dismissed C.disposed D.eliminated

⑥Professor Smith seldom _______ the class on time.

A.dismisses B.nervous C.misleads D.regrets

Keys:

446. BABC

447. BCBB

448. ADAADAD

449. DCAB

450. AAAAAA

www.99jianzhu.com/包含内容:建筑图纸、PDF/word/ppt 流程,表格,案例,最新,免费下载,施工方案、工程书籍、建筑论文、合同表格、标准规范、CAD图纸等内容。

TOP最近更新内容

园林史名词解释
    长城小学关爱留守儿童工作制度
  • 上一篇:布拉德福德基督学院评估分析报告
  • 下一篇:2013年全国高中数学联赛河南预赛高一试题