湖南省长沙市芙蓉区2016高考英语完形填空和阅读理解一轮练习(4)

湖南省长沙市芙蓉区2016高考英语完形填空和阅读理解一轮练习

(4)

阅读下列短文,从每题所给的A.B.C和D项中,选出最佳选项。

Although April did not bring us the rains we all hoped for, and although the Central Valley doesn’t generally experience the sound and lightning that can go with those rains, it’s still important for parents to be able to answer the youthful questions about thunder and lightning.

The reason these two wonders of nature are so difficult for many adults to explain to children is that they are not very well understood by adults themselves. For example, did you know that the lightning we see flashing down to the earth from a cloud is actually flashing up to a cloud from the earth? Our eyes trick us into thinking we see a downward motion when it’s actually the other way around. But then, if we believed only what we think and we see, we’d still insist that the sun rises in the morning and sets at night.

Most lightning flashes take place inside a cloud, and only a relative few can be seen jumping between two clouds or between earth and a cloud. But, with about 2,000 thunderstorms taking place above the earth every minute of the day and night, there’s enough activity to produce about 100 lightning strikes on earth every second. Parents can use thunder and lightning to help their children learn more about the world around them. When children understand that the light of the lightning flashing reaches their eyes almost at the same moment, but the sound of the thunder takes about 5 seconds to travel just one mile, they can begin to time the interval (间隔) between the flash and the crash to learn how close they were to the actual spark (闪光).

1. According to the author, in the area of the Central Valley____.

A. rains usually come without thunder and lightning.

B. it is usually dry in April

C. children pay no attention to the two natural wonders.

D. parents are not interested in thunder an lightning.

2. We believe that lightning is a downward motion because_______.

- 1 -

A. we were taught so by our parents from our childhood.

B. we are taken in by our sense of vision.

C. it is a common natural sight.

D. it is a truth proved by science.

3. What is TRUE about lightning according to the passage?

A. Only a small number of lightning flashes occur on earth.

B. Lightning flashes usually jump from one cloud to another.

C. Lightning travels 5 times faster than thunder.

D. There are far more lightning strikes occurring on earth than we can imagine.

4. The underlined word “activity” is most closely related to the word (s) _____.

A. cloud

thunderstorms B. lightning strikes C. lightning flashes D.

5. It can be concluded from the passage that _______.

A. we should not believe what we see or hear.

B. things moving downward are more noticeable.

C. people sometimes may have wrong ideas about ordinary phenomena.

D. adults are not as good as children in observing certain natural phenomena.

【参考答案】1—5、ABDDC

阅读理解。

A lot of us lose life's tough battles by starting a frontal attack--when a touch of humor might well enable us to win. Consider the case of a young friend of mine, who was on his trapped way to work shortly after receiving an ultimatum(最后通牒) about the job. Although there was a good reason for Sam's being late--serious illness at home--he decided that this by-now-familiar excuse wouldn't work any longer. His supervisor was probably already pacing up and down preparing a dismissal speech.Yes, the boss was, Sam entered the office at 9:35. The place was as quiet as a locker room; everyone was hard at work. Sam's supervisor came up to him. Suddenly, Sam forced a grin and stretched out his hand. "How do you do!" he said. "I'm Sam Maynard. I'm applying for a job, which, I understand, became available just 35 minutes ago. Does the early bird get the worm?"

The room exploded in laughter, except that the supervisor had to clamp off a smile and walked back to his office. Sam Maynard had saved his job--with the only tool that could win, a laugh.

Humor is a most effective, yet frequently neglected, means of handling the difficult situations in our lives. It can be used for patching up differences, apologizing, saying "no", criticizing, getting the other fellow to do what you want without his losing face. For some jobs, it's the only tool that can succeed. It is a way to discuss subjects so sensitive that serious dialog may start a quarrel. For example, many believe that comedians on television are doing more today for racial and religious tolerance than people in any other forum.

1. Why was Sam late for his job?

A. Because he was seriously ill at home.

B. Because he received an ultimatum.

C. Because he was busy applying for a new job.

D. Because he was caught in a traffic jam.

答案解析:答案为D。本题为细节推理题。由第一段第二句话 “?, who was on his trapped - 3 -

way to work shortly after receiving an ultimatum about the job.”可知,Sam迟到是因为交通堵塞,故答案为D。

2. What is the main idea of this passage?

A. Sam Maynard saved his job with humor.

B. Humor is important in our lives.

C. Early bird can get the worm.

D. Humor can solve racial discriminations.

答案解析:答案为B。本题为主旨大意题。 结合文章第一段首句 “A lot of us lose life's tough battles by starting a frontal attack--when a touch of humor might well enable us to win.”和最后一段首句 “Humor is a most effective, yet frequently neglected, means of handling the difficult situations in our lives.”可知,本文是阐述幽默在生活中的重要性。故答案为B。

3. The phrase "clamp off" in Paragraph 3 means ________.

A. try to hold back

off D. give out

答案解析:答案为A。本题为词义推断题。结合划线部分的前后文,Sam屡次迟到,最后一次要被主管炒鱿鱼的时候,他进办公室却用幽默的方式和主管讲了个冷笑话“您好!我是Sam Maynard,我想申请一个35分钟之前空出来的位置,请问早到的鸟儿有虫吃吗?” 这个笑话惹得办公室的人哄堂大笑,由 “except that the supervisor had to clamp off a smile and walked back to his office.” 可知,除了主管不得不强忍着微笑回到自己的办公室,以维护自己的尊严。故答案为A。

4. Which of the following statements can we infer from the passage?

A. Many lose life's battles for they are always late.

B. Sam was supposed to come to his office at 8:30.

C. It wasn't the first time that Sam came late for his work.

D. Humor is the most effective way of solving problems.

- 4 - B. pretend to set C. send

答案解析:答案为C。本题为推理题。由第一段第二句话 “Consider the case of a young friend of mine, who was on his trapped way to work shortly after receiving an ultimatum about the job.”可知,Sam刚接到了老板的最后通牒后,却又遇到了交通堵塞,可以推断他经常迟到。故C选项正确。由第二段 Sam说的话“I'm Sam Maynard. I'm applying for a job, which, I understand, became available just 35 minutes ago.”可推断,35分钟前老板开除了他,因为没按时到岗,而他在9:35到达办公室,故可推断上班时间是9:00。故B选项错误。A选项未提及,D选项太绝对,均不选。

阅读理解。

LONDON — Britain awoke on Easter Monday to a period of mourning for the Queen Mother, who died over the weekend after a life spanning a century of noisy and evident change. The 101-year-old royal matriarch died in her sleep last Saturday with Queen Elizabeth, her elder and only surviving daughter, at her bedside. For a woman who was one of the best-known figures in Britain for more than 80 years — from the era of tinted portraits on tin biscuit boxes and cigarette cards to the age of the Internet, the Queen Mother remained an enigmatic(不可思议的) and elusive(躲避的) figure.

She achieved such a respect through aeons(永世, 亿万年) of, first, fawning and, later, intrusive media fascination, by remaining almost entirely silent. Her private thoughts were never paraded(炫耀) in public. What the public saw was a charming and benign elderly lady, adept at winning the admiration of press photographers, whom she always favoured with a particular smile.

CHINA’s third unmanned spacecraft, Shenzhou Ⅲ, landed safely in central Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Monday afternoon, after orbiting the earth 108 times in slightly less than a week. The craft, which lifted off from Jiuquan in Gansu Province last Monday night, landed after successfully conducting a chain of flight and scientific experiments over a period of 162 hours.

A powerful earthquake jolted Taiwan, killing five construction workers,

authorities(官方) said. Over 200 injuries ware reported across the island, mostly minor, as a result of Sunday’s 7.5-magnitude quake. The quake was centred off Hualien, 180 - 5 -

kilometres east of Taipei. It struck at 2:53 pm and lasted for nearly a minute.

1. Which of the following statements is true according to the news?

A. The Queen Mother died on Easter Monday alone.

B. The Queen Mother was an attractive person in her political life.

C. The British people felt sorry for the death of the Queen Mother.

D. The Queen Mother was suffering a lot when she was dying.

答案解析:答案为C。本题为推理题。由第二段首句 “She achieved such a respect through aeons of,?”可推断,皇太后赢得了永世的尊重,人们对她的去世会感到遗憾。故C选项正确。

由第一段第二句话 “The 101-year-old royal matriarch died in her sleep last Saturday with Queen Elizabeth, her elder and only surviving daughter, at her bedside.” 可知,皇太后在安睡中去世,当时女儿伊丽莎白女王陪在她的床边,故A、D选项错误。由第二段后面的内容 “Her private thoughts were never paraded in public. What the public saw was a charming and benign elderly lady, adept at winning the admiration of press photographers, whom she always favoured with a particular smile.”可知,她的个人思想从未在公众面前炫耀过,公众看到的总是面带微笑的她在媒体照片中出现,故可推断,她并未从政,故B选项错误。

2. It can be inferred that _______.

A. the craft landed in central Inner Mongolia unexpectedly

B. it took the craft at least 2 hours to orbit the earth once

C. the Chinese scientists did a lot of experiments in space

D. China was successful in sending an unmanned spacecraft into space

答案解析:答案为D。本题为推断题。由第三段的第一句话 “CHINA’s third unmanned

spacecraft, Shenzhou Ⅲ, landed safely in central Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region Monday afternoon, ?” 可知,无人飞船已经安全着陆,故D选项正确,A选项错误。B选项未提及;由首句的关键词 “unmanned”可推断,无人宇宙飞船上面不会有科学家在太空中做实验,故C选项错误。

3. The third news mainly talks about the _______ in Taiwan.

A. political matters

C. unexpected damage B. social problems D. construction workers

答案解析:答案为C。第三则新闻报道台湾发生了地震,属于没有预料到的灾害,故C选项正确。

完形填空。

Cure for Sorrow

There is an old story telling about a woman whose only son died in an accident. In her__1__, she went to the wise man that is always__2__for his wisdom in her town and said, “What advice or what__3__ways do you have to bring my son back to life? I will__4__you with all I have if you can.” Instead of sending her away or__5__with her, he said to her, “Fetch me a mustard(芥末) seed from a home that has never__6__sorrow. We will use it to drive the sorrow out of your life.” The woman went off at once in__7__of that magical mustard seed. She came first to a splendid apartment,__8__at the door, and said in a__9__voice, “I am looking for a home that has never known sorrow. Is this such a(n)__10__that I want? It is very important to me.” __11__, she didn’t get what she wanted, even without a single word of__12__. They told her that she had come to the wrong place. And they began to__13__all the tragic things that recently had happened to them.

The woman said to herself, “Who is better able to help these poor,__14__people than I, though I also have had misfortune of my own?” She__15__to comfort them till they__16__. Then she went on searching for a home that had never known sorrow. But__17__she turned up, in small cottages or in other places, she found one__18__after another of sadness and misfortune. She became so__19__in helping other people out of their sorrow that finally she forgot about her quest for the special mustard seed, in fact, never__20__that it had driven the sorrow out of her life.

1.A.joy

B.danger - 7 -

C.belief

2.A.envied

C.respected

3.A.strange

C.valuable

4.A.reward

C.provide

5.A.quarreling

C.reasoning

6.A.suffered

C.obtained

7.A.honor

C.need

8.A.knocked

C.stood

9.A.excited

C.sad

10.A.place

C.apartment

11.A.Luckily

C.Gradually

12.A.praise

C.comfort

13.A.exchange

C.simplify

14.A.unfortunate

C.unimportant

15.A.planned

C.continued

16.A.settle down D.sorrow B.considered D.treated B.magical D.important B.supply D.award B.discussing D.arguing B.known D.forgotten B.favor D.search B.broke D.pointed B.confident D.urgent B.answer D.person B.Immediately D.Unfortunately B.respect D.encouragement B.describe D.decorate B.unfriendly D.unfamiliar B.managed D.stayed B.break down - 8 -

C.calm down

17.A.wherever

C.however

18.A.excuse

C.lie

19.A.curious

C.worried

20.A.recognizing

C.remembering D.get down B.whatever D.whenever B.tale D.reason B.puzzled D.involved B.realizing D.wondering

[解题导语] 文章以一个故事告诉我们帮助别人能让我们真正的快乐起来,无论我们遇见多大的痛苦。

1.解析:选D。考查名词辨析。A项快乐;B项危险;C项信念;D项悲哀;根据上文可知儿子死了,她很难过。

2.解析:选C。考查动词辨析。根据上文可知这是一位智者,智者总是受到人们的尊重。

3.解析:选B。考查形容词辨析。这里是指有魔力的能把她的儿子找回来的方法。

4.解析:选A。考查动词辨析。A项以??付报酬;B、C项提供;D项奖励。这里是指她以她所有来回报那位智者。

5.解析:选C。考查动词辨析。reason with sb.与??理论,谈论。这里指智者没有和她多讨论。

6.解析:选B。考查动词辨析。智者让她从一个从来都不知道悲哀的家庭里找芥末的种子。

7.解析:选D。考查名词辨析。in search of寻找。根据上下文可知是去寻找这样的人家。

8.解析:选C。考查动词辨析。这里是指站在一家人的门前。本题容易错选A。

9.解析:选A。考查形容词辨析。这里是指她用兴奋的声音说话。

10.解析:选A。考查上下文串联。很清楚她是在问这是不是她要找的地方。

11.解析:选D。考查副词辨析。根据下文可知她找不到那样的地方,所以是很不幸的事情。

12.解析:选C。考查动词辨析。这里是指甚至都没有人来安慰她。

13.解析:选B。考查动词辨析。A项交换;B项描述;C项使??简化;D项装饰。指那些人向她描述他们痛苦的事情。

14.解析:选A。考查形容词辨析。这里是指那些比她还要不幸的人。

15.解析:选D。考查动词辨析。这里是指她留在那个地方来帮助那些人直到他们平静下来。

16.解析:选C。考查词义辨析。A项定居;B项机器坏;C项平静;D项写下。解析同上。

17.解析:选A。考查语法分析。无论她到什么地方,都会发现一个接一个不幸的故事。

18.解析:选B。考查名词辨析。A项借口;B项故事;C项谎言;D项原因。解析同上。 - 9 -

19.解析:选D。考查固定词组。be involved in参与??。

20.解析:选B。考查动词辨析。这里是指她没有意识到帮助别人已经驱赶了她心中的悲哀。

www.99jianzhu.com/包含内容:建筑图纸、PDF/word/ppt 流程,表格,案例,最新,免费下载,施工方案、工程书籍、建筑论文、合同表格、标准规范、CAD图纸等内容。

TOP最近更新内容

长城小学关爱留守儿童工作制度
    园林史名词解释
  • 上一篇:湖南省长沙市芙蓉区2016高考英语完形填空和阅读理解一轮练习(8)
  • 下一篇:英语高中作文句子