池中的水妖

jacob and wilhelm grimm

one morning he got up before daybreak and went outside, thinking that the fresh air would lighten his heart. as he was walking across the mill dam, the first sunbeam was just appearing, and he heard something rippling in the pond.

turning around, he saw a beautiful woman rising slowly out of the water. her long hair, which she was holding above her shoulders with her soft hands, flowed down on both sides, and covered her white body. he saw very well that she was the nixie of the pond, and he was so frightened that he did not know whether to run away or stay where he was. but the nixie, speaking with a soft voice, called him by name and asked him why he was so sad.

at first the miller was speechless, but when he heard her speak so kindly, he took heart and told her how he had lived with good fortune and wealth, but that now he was so poor that he did not know what to do.

"be at ease," answered the nixie. "i will make you richer and happier than you have ever been before. you must only promise to give me that which has just been born in your house."

"what else can that be," thought the miller, "but a young dog or a young cat," and he promised her what she demanded.

the nixie descended into the water again,and consoled and in good spirits he hurried back to his mill. he had not yet arrived there when the maid came out of the front door and called out to him that he should rejoice, for his wife had given birth to a little boy.

the miller stood there as though he had been struck by lightning. he saw very well that the cunning nixie had known this and had cheated him. with his head lowered he went to his wife's bed. when she said, "why are you not happy with the beautiful boy?" he told her what had happened to him, and what kind of a promise he had given to the nixie.

"what good to me are good fortune and prosperity," he added, "if i am to lose my child? but what can i do?"

in the meantime, good fortune returned to the miller's house. he succeeded in everything that he undertook. it was as though the trunks and strongboxes filled themselves of their own accord, and as though money in a chest multiplied overnight. before long his wealth was greater than it had ever been before. however, it did not

bring him happiness without concern, for his agreement with the nixie tormented his heart. whenever he passed the pond he feared she might appear and demand payment of his debt.

he never allowed the boy himself to go near the water. "beware!" he said to him. "if you touch the water a hand will appear, take hold of you, and pull you under."

www.99jianzhu.com/包含内容:建筑图纸、PDF/word/ppt 流程,表格,案例,最新,免费下载,施工方案、工程书籍、建筑论文、合同表格、标准规范、CAD图纸等内容。

TOP最近更新内容

园林史名词解释
    长城小学关爱留守儿童工作制度
  • 上一篇:苏教版小学科学五年级上册《七色光》教学设计
  • 下一篇:江苏景点介绍: NANJING