9(3)辅导

9(3)辅导

基础1词汇

1. associate 使联系;结交;合伙人;同事

associate…with 把。。。和。。。联系起来associate with与。。。交往associated(adj)有关联的,有联系的

association(n)联合;交往

2. adequate 适当的;足够的be adequate for/to适合;能满足于be adequate to do 足够做某事adequacy (n)适合;足够

【对比】adequate和 enough的辨析adequate 通常指数量上和质量上满足要求enough偏重数量的足够

The prisoners received adequate food.犯人们领取相当好的食物。(质好或量足)

The prisoners received enough food.犯人们领取足够吃的食物。(指量)

3.defence 防卫;辩护in defence of 保卫;保护;为。。。辩护out of defence for 处于为。。。辩护

defence against 对。。。的防御come/rush/leap/spring to sb’s defence挺身为某人辩白

defenceless (adj )无防御的defend (vt)防卫;保护

4.tax (n) 税,税款,负担,压力(vt) 对。。。征税

pay/impose/introduce/levy/put a tax on 对。。。征税pay money in tax付税金taxable (adj)可征税的

5.celebration (c/u)庆祝,庆典

hold a celebration 举行庆祝会in celebration of 庆祝celebrate(vt) sth庆祝某事

【对比】congratulate (vt) sb on sth祝贺某人某事congratulations (pl.) to sb on (doing)sth

6.tolerate 忍受,容忍

tolerate /bear/stand doing sth容许做某事tolerance /toleration(n)忍受;容忍;宽容

tolerant (adj)忍受的;容忍的tolerable (adj)可忍受的,可宽容的

7.migrant(c)移居者,移民,候鸟migration(c/u)移居migrate(vt)移居

8.out of respect处于尊敬

out of respect for出于对。。。的尊敬as respects关于;至于in respect to /of关于,就。。。而言with respect恕我直言with respect to至于,关于in all/other/some respects在各/其他/某些方面in every respect 在各方面in no respect完全不

9.reservation预订;保留

make reservations for预订cancel the reservations取消预订without reservation 无保留地;无条件地

with some reservations 有所保留地reserve (vt)/(n)预订;保留reserved (adj)预订的;保留的

10.sow 播种;传播sow the seeds of 播下。。。的种子sow sth with sth在某地播种某物reap as one has sown自食其果 sower (n)播种者;播种机;传播者

11.bachelor 单身汉;学士

【对比】Bachelor of Arts/Science文(理)学士a bachelor’s degree学士学位master硕士doctor博士

12.correspond通信;符合correspond with sb与某人通信correspond to /with sth于某事物相一致/符合

correspondence/correspondency (n)符合;一致correspondent (n)类似物corresponding (adj)符合的,一致的;通讯的

13.owe感激;欠

owe sb sth/owe sth to sb欠某人某物/把某事归功于某人owe sb for sth欠某人某物/因某事而感激某人

owe it to oneself to do sth认为自己应该/有必要做某事owing (adj)欠着的

14.desperate不顾一切的;绝望的;极度渴望的

be desperate at 因。。。而绝望be desperate for sth/to do sth极度渴望做某事

desperately (adv)绝望地desperateness/desperation (n)绝望

15.shrink收缩,缩短shrink back 退缩,畏缩shrink from回避shrink into oneself缩作一团;变得沉默寡言 shrink up(因害羞)畏畏缩缩shrinkable (adj)会收缩的shrinkage (n)收缩,缩水

16.talk…into说服。。。做

talk/persuade sb into doing sth说服某人做某事talk /persuade sb out of (doing ) sth说服某人放弃做某事

17.wind绕;缠;弯曲

wind down完全松开,放松一下wind off 解开,松开wind up 卷紧,上紧。。。的发条

18.recover 痊愈;复原recover from经历。。。以后恢复原状recover oneself 恢复正常状态recovery(n)复原;恢复

19.unconscious未发觉得;无意识的

be unconscious of 未察觉到;未意识到 unconsciously (adv)无意地;不知不觉地 unconsciousness (n)昏迷

Reading1

1. common (adj) 共同的,普遍的,常见的

【对比】 common knowledge/sense 常识 common people 老百姓

have sth in common with sb 与某人有共同之处have nothing in common with sb与某人没有共同之处

反义词:uncommon (adj)

2. include (vt) 包括,包含

【对比】n/pron. +included including + n/pron

included (adj) : eg. Everyone laughed , me included.(每个人都笑了,包括我)

including (prep.) :eg. Everyone laughed, including me.

3. sb be famous for 某人因某种知识技能而出名 sb be famous as 某人以某种职业身份而出名

eg1.Einstein was famous for his Theory of Relativity.爱因斯坦因相对论而出名。

2.Einstein was famous as a great scientist. 爱因斯坦以一位伟大的科学家著称。

Sp be famous for 某地以某种特产而出名Sp be famous as 以什么样的产地或地方而出名

eg.1The area is famous for its green tea.这个地区以绿茶出名。

2.The area is famous as a green tea producing place.这个地区是产绿茶的地区。

4. be popular with受。。。欢迎eg. He is popular with his students.

5. be made up of : 由。。。组成eg. Our class is made up of 50 students.

【对比】consist of : 由。。。组成(无进行时和被动语态)eg. Our class consists of 50 students.

be made of 由。。。制成(看得见原材料)be made from由。。。制成(看不见原材料)be made in 产于某地 be made out of 用。。。制成

make out 辨认;理解make up编造,虚构,组成,构成,化妆make up for弥补,补偿make use of 利用

make up one’s mind下决心

6. be located 位于eg. The information office is located in the city center.咨询处位于市中心。

7. consider doing考虑做某事eg. I am considering changing my job.

consider sb/sth to be /to do sth认为。。。consider sb to have done认为某人已经做了某事

eg.We consider this (to be ) very important.

consider …(as)=regard …as=treat…as=think of …as=look on/upon …as把。。。当作

considering (prep.) 就。。。而言;考虑到

8. 祈使句+and/or(else)+陈述句

eg1.Go straight ahead, and you will find a supermarket.(and表并列 )

2.Give him some food or(else) he will starve.(or―否则‖ )

Reading2

1. home to …….产地

2. the majority大多数+单数动词/复数动词(强调整体时用单数动词,强调个体用复数动词)

eg The majority is /are against the plan.a/the majority of+复数名词:谓语用复数

A/The majority of people seem to prefer TV to radio.

3.while [然而] eg. He is a doctor while I am a teacher.[当。。。时候]eg.My wife kept silent while I was writing.

[尽管] eg.While I admit that there are some problems ,I don’t agree that they can’t be solved.

4.all but除。。。以外都;几乎,差不多

【all相关的词组】above all首先;最重要的after all毕竟all in all总的说来all around在。。。周围,各处all over全身 all at once突然;马上for all尽管

5.be harmless to 对。。。无害be harmful to (adj)=do harm to(u)对。。。有害

6.no more than 仅仅 not more than至多,不超过 no more…than和。。。一样不(两者的否定)

Jack is no more diligent than John.杰克和约翰都不勤奋。 not more…than不如。。。(前者不如后者)

Jack is not more diligent than John.杰克不如约翰勤奋。

more than 超过;很,非常;并非more…than 与其说。。。倒不如说。。。

She is more diligent than clever.与其说她聪明不如说她勤奋。

7.a handful of一把;少数eg. She invited many friends to her party, but only a handful of them turned up.

9(3)词汇测试

1) The young woman seemed to be asleep, but in fact she was _____________.

2) The house looked old form outside, but inside it was ____________.

3) The knife appeared _____________, but it proved to be extremely sharp.

4) The name of the place sounds like English, but it is _____________.

5) The fruit smelled bad, but it turned out to be very ___________.

6) The food and water seemed __________ quality, but they made us sick.

7) The situation seemed _________ quality, but it proved to be hopeful.

8) This island appears to be an independent country, but actually it is to be a(n) ________ region within the country. Keys: unconscious superb rusty aboriginal tasty adequate desperate autonomous

语法总结1

表语与前面的系动词一起构成复合谓语,用来说明主语的特征、属性、状态、身份等。充当表语的可以是单词、短语或从句。表语是由系动词引导的主语补足语,补充说明主语。

常见的系动词有:be become feel grow prove smell taste appear get go remain sound seem stay keep

1 名词作表语

Andrea is a Canadian,so he is not familiar with the American culture. 安德里亚是加拿大人,所以对美国文化不熟悉。 He turned doctor after school,as his parents had expected. 正如父母所愿,毕业后他成了医生。

2 代词作表语 You are many, but they are few. 你们人多,但他们人少。

Whose is that sweater? It has been lying there for a whole day. 那是谁的毛衣?它已经在那儿一天了。

3 数词作表语

She was the first to leave but the last to arrive. 她是第一个走的.却是最后—个到的。

I'll be eighteen in May, which will be an important time in my life. 到五月份我就十八岁了,那将是我—生中重要的时刻。 4形容词作表语

Please feel free to say what you really think.请随便谈谈你的想的想法吧。

The sky looks much higher in autumn. 秋天天空看上去更高。

5动词的-ing形式和-ed形式作表语

I am quite surprised to see you here.在这里看到你我感到非常惊讶。

It's surprising that you haven't met. 你们两人没有见过面这挺奇怪的。

Wasting time is killing yourself.浪费时间就是浪费生命。

6动词不定式或短语作表语

My wish is to become an artist. 我的愿望就是当一名艺术家,

All I could do was wait until help came. 我能做的就是等别人的帮助了。

7副词及其短语作表语be appear prove seem remain

I'm now downstairs, waiting for you. 我正在楼下等你。Is anybody in? 有人在吗?

8介词短语作表语

My hometown is among mountains. 我的家乡在群山中。We were at table when you called.你来访时我们正在吃饭。 9名词性从句作表语The reason why he was late was that he missed the train.他迟到的原因是他误了火车。

This is what I want to say. 这就是我想说的。

注:1.形容词只能作表语,不能作定语,如: 可以说 “She felt glad.” 但不能说“a glad woman”.

afraid asleep ready unable alive aware glad sorry well alone sure

2. 名词或名词词组作表语,一般用来确定主语的性质,或者表达主语的看法,例如:

He became a doctor. Boys are boys. He’s not the right man for the job.

She seemed an ideal wife for him. 3

典型例题:

Sarah,hurry up. I'm afraid you can't have time to ______ before the party.

A. get changed B. get change C. get changing D. get to change

A。本题考查get作系动词时表语的用法。change和句子的主语 you是动宾关系,get changed 换衣服。get + done 是 get作系动词特有的表示被动语态的结构.

You are saying that everyone should be equal, and this is _____ I disagree.

A. why B. where C. what D. how

B。 本题考查表语从句。从句中的disagree 是不及物动词,因此从句不缺少主、宾、表、成分,排除连接代词what;根据句意:这正是我不同意的地方,因此应用where。

My brother is an actor. He _____ in several films so far.

A. appears B. appeared C. has appeared D. is appearing

C。 本题考查动词时态。题意为:我哥哥是名演员,到目前为止他在几部电影里演出过。因句中有so far (迄今为止),表示从过去到现在一段时间内所发生的事情,所以需用完成时态,appear在此意为―演出,上演‖。

语法总结2

动词不定式主动表被动的情况:

在某些情况下,虽然表示被动意思, 用的却是不定式的主动形式。常见的有下列几种情况:

一、在某些固定句型中, 动词不定式作定语, 用主动形式表被动意义。

1)have(give, show)sth. to do

在这种句型中的不定式与前边的名词有动宾关系, 又和句中另一名词或代词构成主谓关系。例如: I have a lot of things to do this afternoon. to do与things是动宾关系, 与I是主谓关系。否则, 在表示被动意义时, 仍需要被动式。试比较: Have you anything to do this afternoon? 今天下午你有事要做吗?

(to do是由you发出的)

Have you anything to be taken to your parents? 你有要带给你父母的东西吗? (谁带不得而知)再如:

Please get me something to read. 请给我弄点读的材料。

He'll show you the right path to take. 他会给你指出要走的正确的路。

2)It(This, That)+be+a/an+adj. + n. +to do

在这种句型中, 不定式与前面的名词有动宾关系。动词不定式可改为动词不定式复合结构。例如: This is a difficult question to answer. 这是个难答的问题。

question与to answer为动宾关系。to answer可改为 for me to answer。再如:

It is an easy sentence to translate. 这个句子很容易翻译。

3)There +be +n. +to do

在此句型中, 用来修饰主语的不定式, 可用主动式, 也可用被动式, 只是侧重点不同。用主动式作定语, 重点在人, 用被动式作定语, 重点在物。例如:

没有时间可以耽误。可译成:

There is no time to lose(to be lost). 用 to lose可看成for us to lose; 用to be lost, 谁 lost time不明确。

但下述两句用主动不定式与被动不定式意义不同:

a. There is nothing to do now. (=We have nothing to do now. )现在没事干。

b. There is nothing to be done. (=We can do nothing now. )现在没办法了。

a. There is nothing to see. (nothing worth seeing)没有东西值得看。

b. There is nothing to be seen. (nothing there at all)看不见什么东西。

二、在某些―形容词+不定式‖的结构中, 不定式有被动意义, 与句子主语构成动宾关系。其句型有:

1)n. +be+adj. +to do

The question was very difficult to answer. 这问题很难回答。The job is very easy to do. 这工作很容易做。

2)n. +be+too+adj. +to do

The thing is too small to see. 这东西太小看不见。I was too excited to say a word. 我激动得连一句话也说不出。

3)n. +be +adj. +enough to do

The box is light enough to carry. 这盒子轻得可带走。The book is cheap enough to buy. 这本书很便宜可以买。 但下列两句可用不定式的主动式, 也可用被动式:

This plant is fit to eat /to be eaten. 这种植物可以食用。The cake is ready to eat /to be eaten. 这块饼可以吃了。

三、某些动词, 如to let, to blame (责备), to seek(寻找)用主动式表被动意义。

例如:The house is to let. 这房子要出租。 Who is to blame for it? 这得怪谁?

The reason is not far to seek. 这理由不难找到。

典型例题: 练习: 选择填空。

1. The chair looks rather hard, but in fact it is very comfortable to __________.a. sit b. sit on c. be sat d. be sat on

2. I'm hungry. Get me something __________.a. eat b. to eat c. to be eat d. for eating

3. It is difficult for a foreigner __________ Chinese.a. write b. to write c. to be written d. written

4. I have no more letters __________, thank you.a. to type b. typingc. to be typed d. typed

5. The car is rather difficult __________.a. to repair b. to be repairedc. repairing d. being repaired

6. He was nowhere __________.a. to see b. to be seen c. seeing d. seen

7. She had no money __________ a birthday present for their children.

a. to buy b. to be bought c. bought d. buying

8. We waited for the work __________.a. done b. being done c. to do d. to be done

答案:1—5BBBAA 6—8 BAD

A篇章结构1

Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne(有蚊子传播的) infection. The disease is characterized by high fever, headache, bone or joint and muscle pains, and rash. Dengue haemorrhagic(大出血的) fever is a potentially deadly complication(并发症) that is characterized by high fever, haemorrhagic phenomena, often with enlargement of the liver, and in severe cases, circulatory failure.

Dengue haemorrhagic fever occurred in 1779-1780. Dengue haemorrhagic fever was first recognized in the 1950s during the dengue epidemics in the Philippines and Thailand.

The disease is now endemic in more than 100 countries in Africa, the Americas, the Eastern Mediterranean, Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific.

WHO currently estimates there may be 50 million cases of dengue infection worldwide every year.

There is no specific treatment for dengue fever. With appropriate intensive supportive therapy, mortality(死亡率) may be reduced to less than 1%.

A. The global prevalence(流行) of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades.

B. Some 2500 million people –two fifths of the world’s population—are now at risk from dengur.

C. The first reported epidemics of dengue fever occurred in 1779-1880.

D. However, careful clinical nagement by experienced physicians and nurses frequently saves the lives of DHF patients. E. Public health authorities have emphasized disease prevention by mosquito control.

F. Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific are the most seriously affected.

[参考答案] CAFBD

A篇章结构2

A mental health researcher who has studied depressed mothers in Pakistan plans an effort next year to help them. Doctor Atif Rahman is in the Department of Child Psychiatry (精神病治疗法) at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital in England.

Doctor Rahman led a team that linked depression (消沉) in women with lover weight in their babies during the first year of life.

The study identified one hundred and sixty of the women, or one in four, as depressed. They had lost interest or pleasure in normal life. They always felt sad or tired. They had problems eating or sleeping. They felt guilty and thought about killing themselves.

Re-examinations took place at two, six and twelve moths of age. The health workers also re-examined the mental health of the mothers.

Babies whose mothers remained depressed grew less than the babies of the other women. The babies of depressed mothers were also more likely to get sick with diarrhea (腹泻). The findings appeared in September in Archives of General Psychiatry (精神病学档案). Other studies in South Asia have found that depression affects almost twice as many women in developing countries. Conditions in poor countries can make it more difficult to care for a baby. Doctor Rahman says 5

depression can make it even more difficult for a mother to do things such as boil water to kill harmful arganisms (微生物).

These women visit new mothers for up to a year. The workers offer advice about things like health and cleanliness.

The program will be tested for three years to see how well it succeeds.

A. Now Doctor Rahman wants to add special support for depressed mothers. The idea is that the health worker will listen to the mother’s problems and suggest some easy things at first that she can do for her baby.

B. Earlier studies showed that ten to fifteen percent of pregnant women and new mothers in Western nations suffer from depression.

C. For ten years, Pakistan has employed what are called ―lady health workers‖.

D. The team studied six hundred and thirty-two women from small villages in Rawalpindi. The women were in good physical health and in the last three months of pregnancy.

E. The researchers compared these women with one hundred and sixty others who were not depressed. Health workers then weighed and measured the babies of both groups at birth.

F. The study showed that depression in women had nothing to do with lower weight in their babies.

[参考答案] DEBCA

综合提高

第一节 完形填空(共10小题;每小题2分,满分20分)

阅读下面短文,掌握其大意,然后从21—30各题所给的A、B、C和D项中,选出最佳选项,并在答题卡上将该项涂黑。

Flying like a bird has been the dream of humans since ancient times. Last week a group of modern birdmen put their courage on their wings and __21__ gravity in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.

―Yes, you can buy a ticket and fly to another city. But running with your own wings and feeling your feet ready to __22__ is totally different,‖ Dong Fang, a middle school student in Hangzhou who __23__ a home-made aircraft competition, said in an excited voice. __24__ by the International Bognor Birdman Competition in the UK, the competition in Hangzhou was a similar event. The Bognor Birdman competition started in 1971 in the England coastal city Bognor. People ran off the end of a pier (码头) with their own aircraft in a(n) __25__ to ―fly‖ the farthest distance.

In the competition, a teacher called Ni was amazed to see how imaginative the students were. He was surprised to see his students create 10 different aircrafts with all kinds of material __ 26__ in the past month. ―We’d rather call ourselves dreamers __27__ pilots because whether our wings really leave the ground, our dream really flies,‖ said Dong Fang.

Jing Yuchen and his team named their plane ―Weiming E‖, which __28__ an unknown goose. The 17-year-old boy deeply believes their goose of steel pipe and sailcloth will honour its name by successfully making it fly.

―Our work is much more imaginative than others. With several colourful balloons on its back and a pair of light plastic wings, it is __29__ the most eye-catching work, if not the best,‖ said Yu Liang, another student.

―Although most of those home-made aircrafts cannot really take the boys flying, the boys’ braveness and __30__ in this project will encourage every one of them to fly high in the future,‖ Ni said.

21. A. challenged B. struggled C. abandoned D. observed

22. A. take on B. take up C. take off D. take in

23. A. joined B. participated C. took part in D. attended

24. A. Promoted B. Inspired C. Advocated D. Blamed

25. A. range B. group C. attempt D. way

26. A. available B. unique C. visible D. responsible

27. A. as well as B. other than C. but for D. instead of

28. A. declares B. means C. reflects D. causes

29. A. accidentally B. surely C. barely D. simply

30. A. exploration B. perseverance C. creativity D. determination

语法填空:阅读下面短文,按照句子结构的语法性和上下文连贯的要求,在空格处填入一个适当的词或使用括号中词语的正确形式填空,并将答案填写在答卷标号为3l-40的相应位置上。

Dear Annie,

I am not opposed to drinking, but it sometimes makes Christmas parties out of control. Every year, the company my wife works for ____31____ (host) a Christmas dinner party at a local restaurant. What used to be an enjoyable meal with some employees has become a large, drunken event ____32____ (last) late into the night. One year, two employees ____33____ (expect) had a fight outside the entrance. Last year, it was even more embarrassing that the scene ____34____ some drunken employees set fire to one of the tables was viewed by other customers in the restaurant. Every year, my wife talks about not going, ____35____ always does and insists we stay till the end of the party. This year, we thanked the hosts, left the restaurant and had cocktails and dinner at home. I think we would be setting a good example and other employees would follow. What do you think?

Dear West,

We’re with you, as you never know ____36____ the party will have in store for you. ____37____ you don’t make your farewells in an unhurried manner and don’t give the impression that you are ____38___ a rush, it will not be rude to do so. The employees who get drunk may not even notice you're gone. More importantly, other employees may find courage in _____39____to do the same, and perhaps if enough of them walk out, the boss will find ____40_____ way to celebrate the holiday.

Ⅲ 阅读 A

PITTSBURGH, Sept. 7 — At 26, many people haven’t even decided on a career. Luke Ravenstahl, cashing in on his family’s political tradition, is already the mayor of Pittsburgh, the youngest mayor of any major city in the country. Although mayors elsewhere have been younger, Jeff Dunkel was 18 in 2001 when he was elected mayor of Mount Carbon, small towns in New York, and elsewhere have also elected teenagers as mayors. But, Tallahassee, is the only other city with a population over 100,000 that has had a mayor as young as Mr. Ravenstahl. A supporter of Mr. Ravenstahl said concerns about Mr. Ravenstahl’s But now comes the hard part. As he strives to be taken seriously and take charge of a city only recently back from the edge of bankruptcy (破产), the baby-faced mayor said that even the smallest decisions felt weighty, even what to wear in the Steelers game matters.

And another pressing issue is to strengthen the city’s economy. Pittsburgh has lost all its mills, nearly half its population and much of its downtown commercial district in the last several decades. ―But Pittsburgh has 50,000 college students, and our challenge is to figure out how to retain them and to increase downtown development.‖ He said.

But one of the biggest uncertainties is how long he will remain in office. According to the city charter, Mayor Ravenstahl’s term will not expire until November 2009. Some city lawyers, however, have argued that he must face the electorate next year. And residents in Pittsburgh are still keeping judgment on him. Deli, Jimmy Cvetic, a sandwich shop owner, said ―I call him Cool Hand Luke. He’ll be all right, but he’s going to need a cool hand to get through this.‖

Mayor Ravenstahl said he was still trying to deal with the challenge he faced.

41. About Luke Ravenstahl, which of the following statements is TRUE?

A. He is the youngest mayor in the U.S.A. B. His family background has contributed to his successful political career.

C. His young age has won support from media and young voters. D. He will be mayor of Pittsburgh at least until 2009.

42. The underlined word ―dissipate‖ in the first paragraph probably means _________.

A. disappear B. appear C. spread D. reduce

43. What can you infer from the article about Pittsburgh?

A. It is a small town in New York famous for steel mills. B. It has always enjoyed prosperous economic success.

C. Many young college students there are the new hope of the district.

D. It is a major city in the U.S.A with a population slightly smaller than 100,000.

44. Where can you find this article?A. A magazine B. A brochure about politicians

C. A newspaper D. An advertisement about some mayor candidates

45. What kind of Challenges will not Luke Ravenstahl cope with?

A. Distrust from his citizens B. pressure from other outstanding young mayors

C. economical standstill of his city D. decreasing population in his city

B

In cities with rent control, the city government sets the maximum rent that a landlord can charge for an apartment. Supporters of rent control argue that it protects people who are living in apartments. Their rent cannot increase, therefore, they are not in danger of losing their homes. However, the critics say that after a long time, rent control may have negative effects. Landlords know that they cannot increase their profits. Therefore, they invest in other businesses where they can increase their profits. They do not invest in new buildings which would also be rent –controlled. As a result, new apartments are not built. Many people who need apartments cannot find any. According to the critics, the end result of rent control is a shortage of apartments in the city.

Some theorists argue that the minimum wage law can cause problems in the same way. The federal government sets the minimum that an employer must pay workers. The minimum helps people who generally look for unskilled, low – paying jobs. However, if the minimum is high, employers may hire fewer workers. They will replace workers with machinery. The price, which is the wage that employers must pay, increases. Therefore, other things being equal, the number of workers that employers want decreases. Thus, critics claim, an increase in the minimum wage may cause unemployment. Some poor people may find themselves without jobs instead of with jobs at the minimum wage.

Supporters of the minimum wage say that it helps people keep their dignity. Because of the law, workers cannot sell their services for less than the minimum. Furthermore, employers cannot force workers to accept jobs at unfair wages.

Economic theory predicts the results of economic decisions such as decisions about farm production, rent control, and the minimum wage. The predictions may be correct only if ―other things are equal‖. Economists do not agree on some of the predictions. They also do not agree on the value of different decisions. Some economists support a particular decision while others criticize it. Economists do agree, however, that there are no simple answers to economic questions.

46. There is the possibility that setting maximum rent may _________.

A. cause a shortage of apartments B. worry those who rent apartments as homes

C. increase the profits of landlords D. encourage landlords to invest in building apartment

47. According to the critics, rent control _________.

A. will always benefit those who rent apartments B. is unnecessary

C. will bring negative effects in the long run D. is necessary under all circumstances

48. The problem of unemployment will arise _________.

A. if the minimum wage is set too highB. if the minimum wage is set too low

C. if the workers are unskilled D. if the maximum wage is set

49. The passage tells us _________.

A. the relationship between supply and demand B. the possible results of government controls

C. the necessity of government control D. the urgency of getting rid of government controls

50. Which of the following statements is NOT true?

A. The results of economic decisions can not always be predicted.

B. Minimum wage can not always protect employees.

C. Economic theory can predict the results of economic decisions if other factors are not changing.

D. Economic decisions should not be based on economic theory.

C

Americans wear black for mourning while Chinese wear white. Westerners think of dragons as monsters while Chinese honor them as symbols of God. Chinese civilization has often shown such polarities (极性) with the West, as though each stands at extreme ends of a global string. Now in the University of California, Berkeley, a psychologist has discovered deeper polarities between Chinese and American cultures — polarities that go to the heart of how we reason and discover truth.

His findings go far toward explaining why American cultures seem to be and Chinese cultures so passive, when compared to each other. More importantly, the research opens the way for the peoples of the East and the West to learn from each other in fundamental ways. The Chinese could learn much from Western methods for determining scientific truth, said Kaiping Peng, a former Beijing scholar, who is now a UC Berkeley assistant professor of psychology. And Americans could profit enormously from the Chinese tolerance for accepting contradictions in social and personal life, he said.

―Americans have a terrible need to find out who is right in an argument,‖ said Peng. ―The problem is that at the

interpersonal level you really don’t need to find the truth, or maybe there isn’t any.‖ Chinese people, said Peng, are far more content to think that both sides have flaws and virtues, because they have a holistic (整体的) awareness that life is full of contradictions. They do far less blaming of the individual than Americans do, he added.

In studies of interpersonal argument, for example, when subjects were asked to deal with contradictory information stemming from conflict between a mother and a daughter or a student and a school, Peng found that Americans were ―non-compromising, blaming one side — usually the mother — for the causes of the problems, demanding changes from one side to attain a solution and offering no compromise‖ in dealing with the conflict. Compared to this angry, blaming American stance, the Chinese were paragons (模范) of compromise, finding fault on both sides and looking for solutions that moved both sides to the middle.

51. In Paragraph 1, the author sets examples in order to _________.

A. expose the contradiction between Chinese and Americans

B. show the differences between Chinese culture and American culture

C. find the reason for the differences

D. generalize the main idea of the passage

52. The underlined word ―contentious‖ in Paragraph 2 probably means _________.

A. conservative B. aggressive C. objective D. optimistic

53. Compared with Americans, Chinese are _________.

A. likely to find the truth in life B. reluctant to admit their own failure

C. reluctant to have a general idea of things D. likely to know advantages and disadvantages of things

54. The studies show that _________.

A. an American treats his or her mother badly B. ideas of treating the aged are different

C. personalities of Chinese and American are different D. conflicts of Americans and Chinese are different

55. The main idea of the passage is _________.

A. polarities between American and Chinese culture B. priorities of American culture to Chinese

C. different attitudes towards the aged D. different manners in social occasions

第四部分: 写作(共两节,满分40分)

第一节 基础写作(共1小题,满分15分)

英国大使馆文化教育处将举办英国夏令营写作大赛,请以学生会的名义根据大赛内容拟写一份英文通知:

1. 大赛主题:

1)家书: 描述在英国生活、学习情况,并感谢父母

2)给伦敦市长的信:描述你在英国的真实体验并就伦敦主办2012年奥运会提出建议

3) 以上两个主题任选其一

2. 参赛办法和截止日期:

在2010年8月22日前登陆www.99jianzhu.com注册成为会员,递交自己的参赛作品

3. 奖励办法:

1)获奖作者将获精美礼品一份

2)其作品在英国大使馆文化教育处出版刊物登载

参考词汇:英国大使馆文化教育处:the Cultural and Education Section of the British Council

【写作要求】

1. 只能使用5个句子表达全部内容。

2. 文中不能出现真实姓名和学校名称。

【评分标准】

句子结构准确,信息内容完整,篇章结构连贯。

Notice

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Students’ Union

.以约120个词写一篇文章,包括以下要点:

1)模拟人生就是规划人生,说出人生规划的重要性。2)就如何有效规划高三学习,谈谈你的具体做法。

[写作要求]

1. 可以组织故事;2 标题自定。

第一节 完形填空21-25 ACCBC 26-30 ADBBC

第二节 语法填空

31. hosts 32. lasting 33.unexpectedly 34.where 35.but 36. what 37.If 38.in 39.themselves 40.another

Ⅲ 阅读理解 41-45 BACCB 46-50 ACABD 51-55 BBDCA

第二节 信息匹配 56-60 CBADE

Ⅳ 写作(共两节,满分为40分)第一节 基础写作(共1小题,满分15分) If you are interested in writing, please take part in the writing contest of the Summer Camp held by the Cultural and Education Section of the British Council. You can choose either of the following themes, a letter home, telling your parents the life and studies in the UK and showing your gratitude to them or a letter to the mayor of London, describing your real experiences in Britain and giving him your suggestions on how to host 2012 Olympics. Please log on and register as a member before August 22nd, 2010. The winners will be given a pleasant gift and their work will be published on the magazine issued by the Cultural and Education Section British Council. 第二节 读写任务 (共1小题,满分25分)

Plan Our Life Well

The Sims is an American computer game in which you can realize the way to achieve happiness in your real life by creating, directing, and managing a simulated identity in the Sim world.

Today, we are living in a fluctuating society. This urges a severe and immediate need for us to plan and organize our life properly beforehand. Whatever we do, we must have a draft or blueprint for the next step. Otherwise, we are likely to be eliminated in this competitive world.

As a Senior Three student, I am supposed to plan our study efficiently so that I can grasp a wide range of subjects and knowledge. Consequently, it is essential for me to allocate more time on subjects I am weak in. The moment I get up in the morning, I will spend time reading English or Chinese aloud because it can make me more energetic. In the evening study, I first concentrate on my weak subjects and then switch to the subjects that I excel in for a change. Reviewing the bits and pieces that I learn every day is what I do before bed because it is the ideal time for memory.

9(3)辅导

基础1词汇

3. associate 使联系;结交;合伙人;同事

associate…with 把。。。和。。。联系起来associate with与。。。交往associated (adj)有关联的,有联系的

association (n)联合;交往

4. adequate 适当的;足够的be adequate for/to适合;能满足于be adequate to do 足够做某事adequacy (n)适合;足够

【对比】adequate和 enough的辨析adequate 通常指数量上和质量上满足要求enough偏重数量的足够

The prisoners received adequate food.犯人们领取相当好的食物。(质好或量足)

The prisoners received enough food.犯人们领取足够吃的食物。(指量)

3.defence 防卫;辩护in defence of 保卫;保护;为。。。辩护out of defence for 处于为。。。辩护

defence against 对。。。的防御come/rush/leap/spring to sb’s defence挺身为某人辩白

defenceless (adj )无防御的defend (vt)防卫;保护

4.tax (n) 税,税款,负担,压力 (vt) 对。。。征税

pay/impose/introduce/levy/put a tax on 对。。。征税pay money in tax付税金taxable (adj)可征税的

5.celebration (c/u)庆祝,庆典

hold a celebration 举行庆祝会in celebration of 庆祝celebrate(vt) sth庆祝某事

【对比】congratulate (vt) sb on sth祝贺某人某事congratulations (pl.) to sb on (doing)sth

6.tolerate 忍受,容忍

tolerate /bear/stand doing sth容许做某事tolerance /toleration(n)忍受;容忍;宽容

tolerant (adj)忍受的;容忍的tolerable (adj)可忍受的,可宽容的

7.migrant(c)移居者,移民,候鸟migration(c/u)移居migrate(vt)移居

8.out of respect处于尊敬

out of respect for出于对。。。的尊敬as respects关于;至于in respect to /of关于,就。。。而言with respect恕我直言 with respect to至于,关于in all/other/some respects在各/其他/某些方面in every respect 在各方面in no respect完全不

9.reservation预订;保留

make reservations for预订cancel the reservations取消预订without reservation 无保留地;无条件地

with some reservations 有所保留地reserve (vt)/(n)预订;保留reserved (adj)预订的;保留的

10.sow 播种;传播sow the seeds of 播下。。。的种子sow sth with sth在某地播种某物reap as one has sown自食其果 sower (n)播种者;播种机;传播者

11.bachelor 单身汉;学士

【对比】Bachelor of Arts/Science文(理)学士a bachelor’s degree学士学位master硕士doctor博士

12.correspond通信;符合correspond with sb与某人通信correspond to /with sth于某事物相一致/符合

correspondence/correspondency (n)符合;一致correspondent (n)类似物corresponding (adj)符合的,一致的;通讯的

13.owe感激;欠

owe sb sth/owe sth to sb欠某人某物/把某事归功于某人owe sb for sth欠某人某物/因某事而感激某人

owe it to oneself to do sth认为自己应该/有必要做某事owing (adj)欠着的

14.desperate不顾一切的;绝望的;极度渴望的

be desperate at 因。。。而绝望be desperate for sth/to do sth极度渴望做某事

desperately (adv)绝望地 desperateness/desperation (n)绝望

15.shrink收缩,缩短shrink back 退缩,畏缩 shrink from回避 shrink into oneself缩作一团;变得沉默寡言 shrink up(因害羞)畏畏缩缩 shrinkable (adj)会收缩的 shrinkage (n)收缩,缩水

16.talk…into说服。。。做

talk/persuade sb into doing sth说服某人做某事 talk /persuade sb out of (doing ) sth说服某人放弃做某事

17.wind绕;缠;弯曲

wind down完全松开,放松一下wind off 解开,松开 wind up 卷紧,上紧。。。的发条

18.recover 痊愈;复原recover from经历。。。以后恢复原状 recover oneself 恢复正常状态 recovery(n)复原;恢复

19.unconscious未发觉得;无意识的

be unconscious of 未察觉到;未意识到 unconsciously (adv)无意地;不知不觉地 unconsciousness (n)昏迷

Reading1

1 common (adj) 共同的,普遍的,常见的

【对比】 common knowledge/sense 常识 common people 老百姓

have sth in common with sb 与某人有共同之处have nothing in common with sb与某人没有共同之处

反义词:uncommon (adj)

2 include (vt) 包括,包含

【对比】n/pron. +included including + n/pron

included (adj) : eg. Everyone laughed , me included.(每个人都笑了,包括我)

including (prep.) :eg. Everyone laughed, including me.

3 sb be famous for 某人因某种知识技能而出名 sb be famous as 某人以某种职业身份而出名

eg1.Einstein was famous for his Theory of Relativity.爱因斯坦因相对论而出名。

2.Einstein was famous as a great scientist. 爱因斯坦以一位伟大的科学家著称。

Sp be famous for 某地以某种特产而出名Sp be famous as 以什么样的产地或地方而出名

eg.1The area is famous for its green tea.这个地区以绿茶出名。

2.The area is famous as a green tea producing place.这个地区是产绿茶的地区。

4 be popular with受。。。欢迎eg. He is popular with his students.

5 be made up of : 由。。。组成eg. Our class is made up of 50 students.

【对比】consist of : 由。。。组成(无进行时和被动语态)eg. Our class consists of 50 students.

be made of 由。。。制成(看得见原材料)be made from由。。。制成(看不见原材料)be made in 产于某地 be made out of 用。。。制成

make out 辨认;理解make up编造,虚构,组成,构成,化妆make up for弥补,补偿make use of 利用

make up one’s mind下决心

6 be located 位于eg. The information office is located in the city center.咨询处位于市中心。

7 consider doing考虑做某事eg. I am considering changing my job.

consider sb/sth to be /to do sth认为。。。consider sb to have done认为某人已经做了某事

eg.We consider this (to be ) very important.

consider …(as)=regard …as=treat…as=think of …as=look on/upon …as把。。。当作

considering (prep.) 就。。。而言;考虑到

8祈使句+and/or(else)+陈述句

eg1.Go straight ahead, and you will find a supermarket.(and表并列 )

2.Give him some food or(else) he will starve.(or―否则‖ )

Reading2

1 home to …….产地

2 the majority大多数+单数动词/复数动词(强调整体时用单数动词,强调个体用复数动词)

eg The majority is /are against the plan.a/the majority of+复数名词:谓语用复数

A/The majority of people seem to prefer TV to radio.

3.while [然而] eg. He is a doctor while I am a teacher.[当。。。时候]eg.My wife kept silent while I was writing.

[尽管] eg.While I admit that there are some problems ,I don’t agree that they can’t be solved.

4.all but除。。。以外都;几乎,差不多

【all相关的词组】above all首先;最重要的after all毕竟all in all总的说来all around在。。。周围,各处all over全身 all at once突然;马上for all尽管

5.be harmless to 对。。。无害be harmful to (adj)=do harm to(u)对。。。有害

6.no more than 仅仅 not more than至多,不超过 no more…than和。。。一样不(两者的否定)

Jack is no more diligent than John.杰克和约翰都不勤奋。 not more…than不如。。。(前者不如后者)

Jack is not more diligent than John.杰克不如约翰勤奋。

more than 超过;很,非常;并非more…than 与其说。。。倒不如说。。。

She is more diligent than clever.与其说她聪明不如说她勤奋。

7.a handful of一把;少数eg. She invited many friends to her party, but only a handful of them turned up.

9(3)词汇测试

9) The young woman seemed to be asleep, but in fact she was _____________.

10) The house looked old form outside, but inside it was ____________.

11) The knife appeared _____________, but it proved to be extremely sharp.

12) The name of the place sounds like English, but it is _____________.

13) The fruit smelled bad, but it turned out to be very ___________.

14) The food and water seemed __________ quality, but they made us sick.

15) The situation seemed _________ quality, but it proved to be hopeful.

16) This island appears to be an independent country, but actually it is to be a(n) ________ region within the country. 语法总结1

表语与前面的系动词一起构成复合谓语,用来说明主语的特征、属性、状态、身份等。充当表语的可以是单词、短语或从句。表语是由系动词引导的主语补足语,补充说明主语。

常见的系动词有:be become feel grow prove smell taste appear get go remain sound seem stay keep

1 名词作表语

Andrea is a Canadian,so he is not familiar with the American culture. 安德里亚是加拿大人,所以对美国文化不熟悉。 He turned doctor after school,as his parents had expected. 正如父母所愿,毕业后他成了医生。

2 代词作表语 You are many, but they are few. 你们人多,但他们人少。

Whose is that sweater? It has been lying there for a whole day. 那是谁的毛衣?它已经在那儿一天了。

3 数词作表语

She was the first to leave but the last to arrive. 她是第一个走的.却是最后—个到的。

I'll be eighteen in May, which will be an important time in my life. 到五月份我就十八岁了,那将是我—生中重要的时刻。 4形容词作表语

Please feel free to say what you really think.请随便谈谈你的想的想法吧。

The sky looks much higher in autumn. 秋天天空看上去更高。

5动词的-ing形式和-ed形式作表语

I am quite surprised to see you here.在这里看到你我感到非常惊讶。

It's surprising that you haven't met. 你们两人没有见过面这挺奇怪的。

Wasting time is killing yourself.浪费时间就是浪费生命。

6动词不定式或短语作表语

My wish is to become an artist. 我的愿望就是当一名艺术家,

All I could do was wait until help came. 我能做的就是等别人的帮助了。

7副词及其短语作表语be appear prove seem remain

I'm now downstairs, waiting for you. 我正在楼下等你。Is anybody in? 有人在吗?

8介词短语作表语

My hometown is among mountains. 我的家乡在群山中。We were at table when you called.你来访时我们正在吃饭。 9名词性从句作表语The reason why he was late was that he missed the train.他迟到的原因是他误了火车。

This is what I want to say. 这就是我想说的。

注:1.形容词只能作表语,不能作定语,如: 可以说 “She felt glad.” 但不能说“a glad woman”.

afraid asleep ready unable alive aware glad sorry well alone sure

2. 名词或名词词组作表语,一般用来确定主语的性质,或者表达主语的看法,例如:

He became a doctor. Boys are boys. He’s not the right man for the job. She seemed an ideal wife for him.

典型例题:

Sarah,hurry up. I'm afraid you can't have time to ______ before the party.

A. get changed B. get change C. get changing D. get to change

You are saying that everyone should be equal, and this is _____ I disagree.

A. why B. where C. what D. how

My brother is an actor. He _____ in several films so far.

A. appears B. appeared C. has appeared D. is appearing

语法总结2

动词不定式主动表被动的情况:

在某些情况下,虽然表示被动意思, 用的却是不定式的主动形式。常见的有下列几种情况:

一、在某些固定句型中, 动词不定式作定语, 用主动形式表被动意义。

1)have(give, show)sth. to do

在这种句型中的不定式与前边的名词有动宾关系, 又和句中另一名词或代词构成主谓关系。例如: I have a lot of things to do this afternoon. to do与things是动宾关系, 与I是主谓关系。否则, 在表示被动意义时, 仍需要被动式。试比较: Have you anything to do this afternoon? 今天下午你有事要做吗?

(to do是由you发出的)

Have you anything to be taken to your parents? 你有要带给你父母的东西吗? (谁带不得而知)再如:

Please get me something to read. 请给我弄点读的材料。

He'll show you the right path to take. 他会给你指出要走的正确的路。

2)It(This, That)+be+a/an+adj. + n. +to do

在这种句型中, 不定式与前面的名词有动宾关系。动词不定式可改为动词不定式复合结构。例如: This is a difficult question to answer. 这是个难答的问题。

question与to answer为动宾关系。to answer可改为 for me to answer。再如:

It is an easy sentence to translate. 这个句子很容易翻译。

3)There +be +n. +to do

在此句型中, 用来修饰主语的不定式, 可用主动式, 也可用被动式, 只是侧重点不同。用主动式作定语, 重点在人, 用被动式作定语, 重点在物。例如:

没有时间可以耽误。可译成:

There is no time to lose(to be lost). 用 to lose可看成for us to lose; 用to be lost, 谁 lost time不明确。

但下述两句用主动不定式与被动不定式意义不同:

a. There is nothing to do now. (=We have nothing to do now. )现在没事干。

b. There is nothing to be done. (=We can do nothing now. )现在没办法了。

a. There is nothing to see. (nothing worth seeing)没有东西值得看。

b. There is nothing to be seen. (nothing there at all)看不见什么东西。

二、在某些―形容词+不定式‖的结构中, 不定式有被动意义, 与句子主语构成动宾关系。其句型有:

1)n. +be+adj. +to do

The question was very difficult to answer. 这问题很难回答。The job is very easy to do. 这工作很容易做。

2)n. +be+too+adj. +to do

The thing is too small to see. 这东西太小看不见。I was too excited to say a word. 我激动得连一句话也说不出。

3)n. +be +adj. +enough to do

The box is light enough to carry. 这盒子轻得可带走。The book is cheap enough to buy. 这本书很便宜可以买。 但下列两句可用不定式的主动式, 也可用被动式:

This plant is fit to eat /to be eaten. 这种植物可以食用。The cake is ready to eat /to be eaten. 这块饼可以吃了。

三、某些动词, 如to let, to blame (责备), to seek(寻找)用主动式表被动意义。

例如:The house is to let. 这房子要出租。 Who is to blame for it? 这得怪谁?

The reason is not far to seek. 这理由不难找到。

www.99jianzhu.com/包含内容:建筑图纸、PDF/word/ppt 流程,表格,案例,最新,免费下载,施工方案、工程书籍、建筑论文、合同表格、标准规范、CAD图纸等内容。

TOP最近更新内容

长城小学关爱留守儿童工作制度
    园林史名词解释
  • 上一篇:人生,绝不轻言放弃
  • 下一篇:五(2)班“宪法在我心中”主题班队会教案